Island of Lost Souls (Blu-Ray)
A twisted treasure from Hollywood’s pre-Code horror heyday, Island of Lost Souls is a cautionary tale of science run amok, adapted from H. G. Wells’s novel The Island of Dr. Moreau. In one of his first major movie roles, Charles Laughton is a mad doctor conducting ghastly genetic experiments on a remote island in the South Seas, much to the fear and disgust of the shipwrecked man (Richard Arlen) who finds himself trapped there. This touchstone of movie terror, directed by Erle C. Kenton, features expressionistic photography by Karl Struss, groundbreaking makeup effects that have inspired generations of monster-movie artists, and the legendary Bela Lugosi in one of his most gruesome roles.
- New digital restoration of the uncut theatrical version, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary featuring film historian Gregory Mank
- New conversation between filmmaker John Landis, Oscar-winning makeup artist Rick Baker, and genre expert Bob Burns
- New interviews with horror film historian David J. Skal; filmmaker Richard Stanley, the original director of the ill-fated 1996 adaptation; and Gerald Casale and Mark Mothersbaugh of the band Devo
- Short 1976 film by Devo, featuring the songs "Secret Agent Man" and "Jocko Homo"
- Stills gallery
- Theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by writer Christine Smallwood
New cover by Aesthetic Apparatus